12.14.2012

thoughts on today

I was absolutely devastated at the news of today's events and the horrific tragedy that happened in Connecticut today. 

I've run that scenario in my mind before, as an elementary school teacher. What would I do? Would my hands stop shaking enough to lock my door? Would I be able to keep it together enough to know what to do to keep my kids safe? Do we run out? Do we stay in and hide? How horrible to actually have to think of those things.

After watching the news for several minutes about the events and new details that were coming to light,  before I even realized it I was praying that those babies would be blessed and their parents feel some kind of comfort. Because they were- babies. 

I don't know why horrible things happen. I don't know why people are called home before what seems like their time to go and in such appalling circumstances. I do know that every single one of those children is with Heavenly Father and has been embraced by the arms of Jesus Christ. I pray that their families will feel some relief tonight and in the days to come in knowing this. 

Several years ago when my youngest sister passed away, I came across this poem that I absolutely love. They're additional verses to the children's hymn I am a Child of God and how true they are.


I am a child of God and He has called me home.
My earthly journey's through but still, I do not walk alone.
He leads me, guides me, walks beside me, helps me find the way.
He welcomed me with open arms. I live with Him today.

I am a child of God and I have gone ahead.
My earthly life was brief but oh, such peace and love you gave.
You loved me, held me, stood beside me and though I cannot stay
You gave much to help me and I live with Him today.

I am a child of God and I will wait for you. 
Heavenly glory shall be ours, if you can but endure.
I'll lead you, guide you, walk beside you.
Help you find the way.
I'll welcome you with open arms
One bright Celestial day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love.